Saturday, May 10, 2014

Keys here we come!

We left out at 8:30 this morning for the keys.
We passed through Naples first.  It is a very pretty town.  There are some beautiful buildings here.

Not sure what kind of neighborhood this is, but the entrance sure is pretty!
                                                                We then entered the Everglades.
 It didn't look anything like  I thought it would.  I am not really sure what I expected, but this wasn't it.
 This was a dragon fly at the Visitor/ Welcome Center.  I have never seen one with polka dots!
                                                     There were lots of a alligator here!

                             The closer we got to Homestead, Fla. nurseries were everywhere!
There were also lots of garden ornaments, fountains and pots. If you need it for a garden, they had it.

We finally made it to the keys!  Key Largo was just as I  expected it to be.  Beautiful!
We finally (after 5 hours of traveling) made it to our campsite.  We are at Grassy Key RV Resort in Marathon, Fla.
                                               The sites are gravel but very level.
                                                  This is the dock at the campground.
                       I have never seen a palm that looked like a fan before.  This was huge!  I love it.
Libbie and I went exploring and found Coco Palm Beach.  It doesn't have much of a beach.  We talked to a couple of the locals that were there and they told us that this beach is where the locals come.  There isn't as much tourist here because it is still in it's natural state.  There are no amenities as one man told us.  He told us to go to Sombrero Beach for that.  We will visit it tomorrow.
I am going to relax under the Tiki hut for now.
Later

2 comments:

  1. Were you on hwy 41 or I 75 when you were in the Everglades? I think 41 is better to actually see the Everglades.

    We actually passed you yesterday, about 1pm, I think. We were traveling separately (see blog) but I honked at you from the truck!

    There aren't a lot of white sandy beaches in the Keys due to the shallow waters near shore. You'll probably like Sombrero Beach better. Try to get to Bud and Mary's or Robbies Marina to see the huge tarpon.

    Enjoy your stay in the Keys. We have finally left after 3 1/2 months and are in Naples today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came by way of 41. I was looking for ya'll since I knew you were going to leave but I was looking for the truck to be attached to the motorhome. So I missed you! We went to key west today and will hit Sombrero Beach tomorrow. Drive safe and I hope you get your truck fixed without too much trouble.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!