Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July

I hope everyone had a safe and Happy 4th!  It wasn't our usual 4th.  Our family usually gets together and we cook out and have lots of food and home made ice cream and finish off with fire works.  This year it was just Doug and I.  It was a quiet day but ok.  Doug helped me cook supper, and it was great.  Wasn't the usual fare but that's ok it was delicious.  We had pork chops, corn on the cob, fried squash, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.  I have to thank Nancy Walters over at RV-A-GoGo (rvagogo.blogspot.com)  She supplied the recipe for the pork chops and they were wonderful! Thanks Nancy for posting and making up the recipe for these pork chops.
I used all the rub that the recipe made and so they look dark but are not burned I assure you.  It was just a heavy coating.  Even heavier than the pictures that she showed of her pork chops.  My rub is on thicker I guess because the recipe called for 4 pork chops and I only used 2 and yet I used all the rub. I don't know if it was right but it sure was good.  I will definitely use this recipe again.
here is her recipe:

Grilled Spiced Pork Chops with Maple-Balsamic Glaze

Serves 4

4   pork chops (about ½-inch thick)
1   tablespoon allspice
1   tablespoon cumin
¼   teaspoon cinnamon
¼   teaspoon oregano, dried
¼   teaspoon salt
   teaspoon pepper
½  cup balsamic vinegar
¼  cup maple syrup
2   tablespoons honey

Combine allspice, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, salt and pepper.  Coat pork chops on both sides with spice mixture, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, place balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and honey in a small saucepan.  Place over low heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes until syrupy.  Reserve to glaze on the chops when they are done..

Place pork chops on a preheated grill over medium-high heat.  Grill pork for approximately 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.  Spoon a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce over the chops while on the grill.  Transfer to plates and spoon more sauce over pork chops. 


I was so proud of myself because I did as she said and only cooked them for 4 min per side.  I am afraid I am one of those people like she mentioned in her blog that think you have to cook pork to death.

Now that I am full and resting while I enjoy my iced tea, I think I had a good day after all.

Have a safe 4th and remember Freedom is not free!  Our men and women are fighting for us each and everyday.  Thank you to all the Service men and women and their families that sacrifice so much for our freedom.


1 comment:

  1. Yummm that sounds good!

    I think we are going to cook over the grill tonight. And then bring it INside where it's cool to eat it. LOL

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Stevbe
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!